Benefits of Playing with Dolls for all genders:
Dolls are some of the oldest toys that children have ever played with.
* Self-discovery – dolls are often a representation of the child themselves and allow for a child to gain a greater understanding of themselves as well as those around them.
* Imagination – dramatic play, the kind of play that happens when children play with dolls, helps develop a child’s imagination as they encounter creative, imagined scenarios with their dolls and other children.
* Communication – playing with dolls as well as their friends, children run into new and unique situations for their games. Communicating between one another can strengthen their vocabulary by filling it with practical language. By communicating in this way with their friends, children gain insight into home routines that may be different from their own. In this way, they discover the world around them.
* Social Skills – playing with dolls solidifies social skills that are gained in a child’s early developmental years. When children playhouse, they learn to communicate with one another kindly and cooperate. By taking care of a doll, they learn how to take care of one another. Playing with dolls helps children practise how to interact with other people while allowing them to make mistakes without judgement.
* Empathy & compassion – another important social skill that children learn when playing with dolls is how to process emotions such as empathy and compassion. Just like caring for their doll teaches responsibility, it teaches them to empathize with those around them and allows them to grow up into caring people.
* Responsibility – by learning important social skills at an early age, children are learning responsibility as well. They learn how to take care of a doll by playing with it. Learning this skill can help children learn to care for their pets, or older siblings more readily understand how to care for their younger siblings.